I enjoy watching the water below a bridge, seeing the consistent flow of water travelling among trees, shrubs and rocks. I have always found this to be calming and relaxing. I enjoy the sound of water and seeing the change of colours through the changes from day to night.
It is important to embrace what makes you happy, calm and at peace. I enjoy being among nature and embrace these moments every chance I can. Honestly… I am able to genuinely allow the views of nature to sip in, when I am travelling. This is when I am able to grasp each moment with purity. I am able to see, hear and touch with all my senses. I don’t miss anything as I am not distracted with thoughts, work, tasks, events and so forth.
It is truly breathtaking when you are able to enjoy what is in front of you without distractions. There are moments I can clearly hear the sounds of the birds, crickets, a cat meowing and the sounds of the rooster. These moments are extremely soothing to the mind, body and soul.
We often do not take the time to see what helps soothe us and we all should. I invite you to take this moment and think about what helps create a smile, laughter, create inner peace and help calm your nervous system. In mindfulness the goal is to feel the moment by moment as it unfolds.
Here are a few suggestions to help open up your senses:
1. What’s your routine? Do you walk/drive the same route to school or work? Try changing one of these routines and experience the feeling. What was good about it or what feelings did the change evoke.
2. Pick an object such as; picking a flower, a rock, a pinecone, or leaf. Take a moment to smell it, feel it, touch it, and describe what senses you felt.
3. This should then help you to pay attention to your surroundings. Take note of what you see and how you feel.
4. Listen to the sounds of the birds as you walk outside. As you pass by flowers, bushes or trees enjoy the smell that often times you haven’t noticed. Notice the sky and watch the clouds move. At sundown take a moment to go outside and watch the sunset.
5. Have a daily walk with yourself, a friend, a partner or dog. Enjoy how you feel, conversations you are having, and the laughters you are sharing.
6. Get outside and exercise. Go for a walk, run, biking, or hikes. Enjoy a picnic, dancing among the trees, or swimming in the lakes.
7. Go to the park and take up a new hobby such as; blogging, reading, knitting, painting, or colouring. Doing fun tasks among nature brings out extraordinary emotions.
8. Take pictures of the changing seasons and document what you notice.
These strategies help create a balanced routine and decreases symptoms of anxiety. It helps create a sense of gratitude, love and appreciation for your life.
Enjoy your day and some of these recommendations! Please let me know how it works for you and send me an email with any questions you may have!
“ Every day I look for ways to express my appreciation” “Peace begins within, if you are not peaceful inside, the world will be chaotic.”